My notes and excerpts from Death by Love by Mark Driscoll
Truths regarding Satan:
- Satan and demons are your foes and not in any way friends.
1 Peter 5:8
Be sober minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
- Satan and his demons are actively at war against you.
Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the authorities against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.
- Satan and demons want you to die because Satan is a murderer; he wants to bring death to everything in your life; including your love, joy, marriage (relationships), and ministry.
You are of your father the devil and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and has nothing to do with truth, because there is no truth in hum. When he lies he speaks out of his own character, for he is a Liar and the father of Lies.
- Satan and demons have NO claim to you, because you have been delivered forever from Satan’s kingdom of darkness to Jesus’ Kingdom of Light.
He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (and v.14)
- In Jesus there is for you personal protection from and authority over Satan and his demons.
And he said to them “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. Behold, I have given you authority to tread on serpents and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall hurt you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in Heaven.”
- Because you are in Jesus Christ positionally and all things are under His authority, you too can command Satan and demons to obey you by the authority delegated to you from Jesus. Ephesians 1:18-2:8.
Practically this simply means that if in Jesus name you command a demon to leave you alone, it must.
Fight the good Fight. This is war.